Advanced Health Worker (Identified)
The primary purpose of this position is to facilitate effective, coordinated and culturally capable health care for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Renal patients their families and carers accessing renal services within Medical Services, Townsville Hospital and Health Service. To achieve this, you will:
- Support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients and their family’s navigation through the health care system by: (1) assisting with communication and education relating to all renal conditions, planned procedures and accessing post discharge rehabilitation programs, (2) supporting the patient through the discharge planning process (3) Assisting patients understand end of life care.
- Participate in the care of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients admitted to the Renal Unit, Medical Ward 1 and Outpatient appointments as per scope of practice.
- Advocate for the patient and family with health clinicians and support networks and other key services that are engaged with the patient in the primary, secondary and tertiary services.
- Liaise with relevant primary health services and community programs, rural and remote hospitals and medical services regarding the provision of integrated and coordinated systems of care to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients as part of the discharge planning process from the ward.
- Provide cultural consultancy to health professionals and provide health education and support to the patients of the health services.
- Support the Townsville Hospital and Health Service to achieve set performance targets in relation to the National Close the Gap key performance indicators.
- Other duties as may be required.
Mandatory: Possession of a Certificate IV in Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Primary Health or equivalent.
Under s25 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1991, there is a genuine occupational requirement for the incumbent to be indigenous to the Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Community.
This position requires the incumbent to operate a class C motor vehicle (manual and automatic) and an appropriate licence endorsement to operate this vehicle is required. Proof of this endorsement must be provided prior to the commencement of duty.
Some roles within Queensland Health are designated as Vaccination Preventable Disease (VPD) risk roles. This is a VPD risk role.
Please download the attached role description for further reference.
Applications close Sunday 20 October 2019